Unique ways to use this widget
There are multiple ways you can use this widget. For example:
- Ask students to define a term using drop downs.
- Ask them to choose the correct grammatical form of a verb.
- Ask students to summarize a lesson’s main concepts.
- Construct a word equation to identify the correct reactants and products in a chemical reaction.
Have a play
Basic setup instructions
- This component can be found in the Author. Insert the widget from the Components tab and resize it to your liking.
- With the component selected, Click on Configure and select Options to set it up.
- You must change the Mode to Config mode to set up the widget.
- Enter your text in the widget box and click to add dropdowns where you’d like to insert student responses.
- Click on a dropdown to configure the available options and place the green checkmark next to the correct answer.
- Before deploying your lesson to students, make sure you switch the widget from Config Mode into Student Mode.
- The Show Solution CAPI property can be used to display all correct answers to students. You also have the ability to also display the correct answer for each specific dropdown.
- The Show Validation CAPI property highlights correct answers in green and highlights incorrect answers in red. This can be useful as a hint for students as adaptive feedback. You also have the ability to also display validation for each specific dropdown.
- The Enabled CAPI property allows you to enable/disable the widget as a whole or any individual dropdown.
Q: I’ve set up my widget, but when I preview it I can’t complete the activity the way students should. A: This is because you still have the widget set to “Config” mode. Use the edit icon on the Widget’s iFrame to change it to “Student” mode. Whenever you want to make changes to the widget, switch it back to “Config” mode.
Q: Why use the Fill-in-the-Blank widget instead of Dropdown or Text input? A: HTML does not render text the same in every browser. If you try to align drag-and-drop or other inputs with additional text boxes, the formatting is not guaranteed to appear the same for every learner. Using the fill-in-the-blank widget ensures that the inputs and their surrounding text are always properly aligned.
Advanced widget setup
Contact our team for help setting up the widget and trap states in your lessons.